Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Without a care in this world........



Oh to feel so free.....looking at these pictures of arden betty made me miss summers spent as a little girl. when the weather gets warm i feel so happy ...so free!
the sun has been out....and that makes life just a little bit better. im so over this winter.... over snow and colds.....im done with sweaters and boots. give me sunburns and barefeet. when i was a little girl i ran barefooted everywhere, i wore a thousand mardigra beads and a swimsuit. my skin was brown,my hair ratty, and my teeth crooked...to put it nicely,i was a little trashy gypsy girl. i was that little girl who wore skirts too big for her and boys shoes(the girl the rich mothers thought was so pretty, she just needed to be groomed a little:)....i rode my byke all over town and played in the "field" aka an old abandoned lot behind a highway...in the industrial side of town.this place was my fort...my little playland. old abandoned signs and broken down cars, alice had wonderland...i had the dump. we'd find old wood to build forts with...and we took it sereously our forts became our new home...i even remember poopong in them!!on these long summer days i was gone all day i'd go home only to rummige for change to buy penny candies at the quick stop. looking back,its amazing im alive today. all this and i feel lucky that i had that much freedom. i feel bad for the kids who had it so "normal" the schedules and the dance clases the ones who never went outside. from what i have seen...they came out a bit boring.im thankfull that i was not one of those snotty little girls with the perfect scrunchie hair and no imagination. give me my pink bike,traintracks, jelly shoes, ice cream truks, dirty fingernails, and my sister at my side. i would take a summer day like this over any memory i have.to this day when i see a ratty little girl i think of me.

6 comments:

Jessica Potter said...

Em. You are so awesome. Did you ever pee your pants because you were having so much fun outside that you couldn't bear to go in and use the bathroom? That sums up my childhood.

Anonymous said...

when i was a kid, i always thought moms who made their kids where shoes were crazy. shoes just got ruined the callouses you'd worked on building up all summer! i wore flip flops yesterday and my soft, winterized feet got blisters. sweet! summer is coming!

Heather said...

I had a childhood like that too. You brought back so many memories. I agree, I am glad I got to use my imaganation as a kid and got dirty. How fun.

Marley Family said...

Emily I too was a summer rat when I was little. We ran around outside all day! Only to come in for meals. We had a fort in the corner of my parents backyard. We used to pee out there too. My brothers and I would play in the mud with army men. My brothers used to steal my dolls and burn them in the garden. Then we would pretend that barbie had a freak car crash and buned alive. AHHH the good old days!

Kit said...

Oh man, You just took me back to my days growing up on ol Tyhee road where we had dirt clawd wars, played on abandoned trains while bums were sleeping in them, and slept outside on our rusty tramp only to be awaken every 2o minutes to gun shots out on the "Res." Grateful I got to spend 5 years of my life on a farm with animals and indians, because then my parents moved me up to snob hill, but I didn't forget my roots. :)

The Hartle's said...

Yay! I love your blog! Sorry, I'm so slow to get back to you, but I can do v.t. anytime really! We missed you today at the play date!